I hate that good, meaningful blogs are so hard to find. Lately, I feel like all I read is how to look cuter and make your house cuter and make more cute things. Which is just fine, and can be very useful and helpful! But are those things always important? personally, I get way to carried away and end up wasting time reading about these things and later feeling like I need to improve my appearance in some way. I am not saying everyone does or that it is bad to blog/read about those things, I am just saying that I have been convicted of wasting my time and reading some really useless stuff lately. I think the problem occurs when I start spending more time worrying about my appearance or the design of my bedroom than I do thinking about how much I need Christ, and becoming more like Him. Anyway, if anybody else knows what I am talking about then here is a short list of some of my favorite reads that may help:
1. The Livesays - A missionary family in Haiti, the posts in this blog will humble you.
2. The Journey -Katie from Amazima ministries gave up her life here in the states to live in Uganda and adopt 14 little girls. Her story is one that brings tears to my eyes.
3. The New Day Foster Home - A foster home in China for children with special needs. Many of these young ones need some kind of operation or surgery along with a kind, loving family.
4. Once Upon A Time in Real Life - Ele lived as a missionary in Magnolia and recently came back to the states. Her writings are true and honest and just really, really great!
5. Signs of Hope - Carrie and her husband who used to live in China with the New Day foster home have now moved to Texas where they serve the Lord whole-heartedly.
You can also find a few more on my side bar under "Inspiration"
These are true, real-life examples of what God is doing in the world. Stories of hardship, suffering, redemption and provision. Things that aren't always easy to read, but things that are real, honest, and God-glorifying. I feel like so many blogs out there are about pretty things and tend to have a feel of "fake-ness". Reading them tends to make me want to look cuter, buy pretty things (or stuff to make them), or to get married and have a baby (which is potentially a very unhealthy desire to have in my life right now). But these blogs humble me and bring me to my knees praising my Savior. These blogs don't make me want more stuff, or a prettier house, they want to become more like Jesus.
I pray that this is the kind of blog I have. Not one that glorifies myself, but one that glorifies Him. Not one that shows off my photography, style, or my "wonderful perfect life", but one that glorifies the Lord and what he is doing around me. A blog that is filled with authenticity and honesty. One that displays my broken-ness and depravity and His great perfection and excellence. Will you guys keep me accountable? Also- if you know of any great, authentic, God-glorifying blogs as well feel free to share!
Monday, June 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Oh goodness, I definitely know what you mean! Thank you for posting those blogs. I need more incouragement in the Lord and less pressure to be like the world. For a while I got so caught up in the "blog" world and keeping up with all the pretty clothes and houses.
ReplyDeleteI already love katie's blog and am excited about checking out the rest. Rylie, is obviously great and so are these:
fromheretoeternity.com
beautifuljourneyblog.com
I'm sure there are others...but those are all I can think of for now!
Wow! sweet, thank you!! I am glad you liked my post, I was a little worried it might come across the wrong way. It is so hard to stay focused on what really matters! Rylie is super great :) and I will definitely check out those other blogs as well! I also really enjoy yours :) Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteLove this post! Thank you for noticing too!
ReplyDeletei agree and understand what you mean wholeheartedly. I am constantly deleting people because I end up getting what I would get from a magazine from them.
ReplyDeleteI know I fall short and am guilty as well but I think that this world needs to be one that shares what is on their HEARTS more and less of what the world WANTS TO SEE AND HEAR.
Love your post!!
♥CheChe
http://savedthrulove.blogspot.com
I thought of you tonight as I was reading my devotion. It was Romans 1:8-15. I think you have a stellar list! And just like Paul in the passage I was reading, I thank God for your faith and the encouragement that you are to me. I love your desire to glorify the Lord and I pray that desire grows more and more!
ReplyDelete