Monday, May 9, 2011

things I have learned at Bible college.

I have successfully made it through a whole year at Boyce College. I am overwhelmed by the information and ideas that have been put in my head this year, and here is just a short overview of some of the things the Lord has shown me.

1.The Church
the Lord has really shown me what the church actually is. I have learned more about different church doctrines and practices that exist and figured out which ones I agree with and don't, and have a better idea of what kinds of churches I want to be a part of. Most importantly, however, I now know it's not about that at all. The church isn't about doctrine or tradition, or ACTS29 or the SBC, it's about a community of believers who desire to grow and learn together. People who desire to serve each other along with the community. People who quickly become family and really care for each other. People who make meals for you and let you stay at their house, people who babysit for free, people who ask the hard questions and listen for the answer. People who give money to each other so they can adopt a child. People who get upset when you don't share enough because they actually care about what you have to say. I found a church like this in Louisville. And I cannot express enough how thankful I am for Crossing Church and these people:


2. Opinions/ Beliefs
I have been exposed to so much controversy at college. For real. Everyone has their own little piece on Calvinism, eschatology, the supremacy of the Word, etc. People love to debate and to learn and to figure out what it is that they think about all of these things. I think that is great. I think people should want to learn more about those kinds of things and really get to the core of what they believe, and what the Bible says about it. However, I am learning that beliefs are important, yes, but the way you live with those beliefs is what matters. The way you live is how you represent Christ. The thing we should focus on the most is living like He did. Serving others selflessly, and falling more in love with our creator every day. Knowing the word, and knowing the people around you. What you believe is obviously going to effect the way you live, but the way you live needs to look like Jesus. That's what's important.

3. The Gospel
The life and death of Christ is something I now realize should affect every little part of us. It is something we should remember daily. The fact that we are sinful and broken and cannot do anything on our own. That we need Jesus and only His blood is enough. There is nothing more important than this, and it should change our lives. It needs to be something I think about all the time, and something I cannot keep from sharing.

4. Girls
Living on a hall with thirteen other girls is really hard. You sleep less, talk more, get less homework done, and get left out some. You hardly even get a minute alone. Truth can get twisted and lies can be told. But oh, it is so worth it. Relationships are built. Laughter is loud and it is constant. Crying is common, but comforted with words of true wisdom and understanding that can only come from a woman of the Lord, of which there are many. Fun is equaled with serious conversation, and there is never a dull moment. I have learned so much from these girls about what it means to live a life that pleases God. The community that exists is something that I hope lasts my whole life. I have seen a glimpse of eternity living with these girls, and I see Christ in their lives all the time. God will always be showing me new things through each of them, and I look forward to the futures of our friendships.



5. Faitfulness
The Lord is faithful. If you truly desire to live for Him and live out His will, He will keep His promises. He will carry and sustain you, He will bring you through the hardest trials, and He will make a way for you, even when you are in the dark and have no idea what to do next. He has brought me through much to get to where I am, and I know he will bring me though much more. The worst is yet to come, I am sure, and I just hope that when tragedy strikes I will trust Him and remember His faithfulness.

'tis grace that brought me safe thus far,
and grace will lead me home


2 comments:

  1. What an encouraging post. I am so thankful that the Lord led you to Boyce and has taught you all of these things. I am excited to see what the future holds.
    Love always!

    ReplyDelete