Saturday, August 28, 2010

One week.

Today, I had one of those "I miss home too much to function right now" kind of moments.

In my old testament class, I am learning more and more about how powerful God's word is, and how faithful he will always be. Abraham was called upon the Lord to be the father of a chosen nation of God's people. He traveled and wondered for so long, relying solely upon the Lord's plan. He messed up a lot and there were times when his faith ran out, but he was constantly repenting and coming back to God. When God miraculously provided a son for Abraham (after his wife Sarah was barren for so many years), Abraham knew God was faithful and was willing to follow him no matter what. Despite his sins against God and his rebellion at times, Abraham kept God's commandments and remembered His promise to make a great nation out of him. In Genesis 26:4 God passes the promise down to Abraham's son, Isaac.
"Sojourn in this land,and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

Then Isaac had a similar story, and the promise continued to be passed down through his son, Jacob who became the nation of Isreal. So basically, all of these people in the old testament were waiting for a savior. God called them to form his people and they obeyed. It all points to Jesus. God was faithful. He kept his promises and passed them down, and he did what he said he would do. I love these stories and they just show how powerful our God is. When he says "let there be light" there is light and the universe is formed, when he says he will bless your offspring, he forms nations. And when the Lord says "Do not be frightened, do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9) he means it. Being away from home really sucks sometimes, but when I look at the way he has dealt with those who fear him and obey his commands, I am so comforted by the fact that God is with me, and he wants me here. He will do what he wants with me, and He is all I need. I am a servant of a great and mighty God, who's words are powerful and true. I will not be afraid, I will not be shaken, for this is what the Lord wants of me, and it is Him whom I serve.


"Here is my heart, let it be forever Your's. Only you can make every new day seem so new."
[Five Iron Frenzy]




2 comments: